Asarco Globe Plant
About this Project
Situated on approximately 77 acres, the Globe Plant was once a major employer in Globeville and the surrounding neighborhoods of northern Metro Denver. Refining operations commenced at the property in 1886 when the Holden Smelter began producing gold and silver. In 1901, the American Smelting and Refining Company (renamed Asarco Incorporated in 1975) bought the Globe Plant and over the next hundred years produced a variety of specialty products and high purity metals.
Asarco declared bankruptcy in 2005, and the Globe Plant ceased all operations in November 2006. In December 2009, as part of the resolution of Asarco’s bankruptcy, the property was transferred to the Asarco Multi-State Custodial Trust (Trust) along with funds to clean up the site.
Brownfield Partners a company owned by RES principals contracted with the Trust to manage the remediation and redevelopment of the property. The project followed the Principals of RE| Solutions to EnviroFinance Group (EFG), where they continued to direct the remediation and site development. The project benefited from the cooperative support of Adams County, the City and county of Denver, the Denver Urban Renewal Authority, the State of Colorado, and the EPA.
Cleanup of the site was completed in early 2015, and the first property sale to Trammell Crow Commercial took place in July 2015. The property has since been redeveloped as the Crossroads Commerce Center, a modern, master-planned industrial park that provides nearly 1 million square feet of class A industrial warehouse, distribution, and support space.